The day began at 7:07 in the morning, as usual Xavier Verdaguer picked us at our hotel to go the Center. After a good breakfast (we need a lot of energy to keep our creativity up!) we went on working on the idea generation, trying to look for the best solutions for our challenges.
At 9:00 we had an amazing presentation with Pere Gifre. Pere Grife is an industrial designer and conceptual artist born in Figueres, and currently living in San Francisco. He is an specialist in Visual effects design and development for sculpture, scenography and motion pictures. He showed us how technological advances enable the materialization of nature and water on his sculptures. We went through the process some of his fantastic projects such as the SPLASH sculpture for Expo Zaragoza or ElBulli Tableware Collection. More than 70 people worked on the SPLASH sculpture during 6 months, awesome!
Then, the hypnotherapist Cintia Cavalcante, former journalist and Radio/TV Hostess born in Amazon-Brazil, helped us to open our minds and enhance our positive thinking process through a hypnosis’s session. It was the perfect activity to recharge energy and come back to work with a more positive attitude.
Last but not least we received the visit of Marta Emerson. She is Vice President at Scaale Group, a Venture resource group dedicated to implement solutions for startups, SMB’s, Corporations and Governments through innovation, sales, capital and talent.
Marta told us some important factors to raise funds and success as an start up in Silicon Valley. It was a pleasure to have the opportunity of talking to her and learning from her wide experience.
Some tips that I would like to highlight are:
- Every company should be a micro multinational, putting the right budget in the right placer for the right reason. Nowadays, successful start ups has its management team in San Francisco and globalize its development and production teams to other more cost effective countries
- Not all money is good money. Before raising money you should think what do I need from an investor beyond capital?
- You need an unique and strong value proposition for your company
- If you are a “me too company” (companies with similar business models to already successful american companies) Silicon Valley is not the best place to raise money for your company
- You will not raise capital in Silicon Valley until you are a EEUU company and you have obtained traction here
- if you want somebody else to risk for you, you will need to risk first. It is required you invest additional resources to human capital in your project
- Explain investors how much money you need and how long you can survive without it. It is needed to adapt your funding requirements to the economic reality of EEUU, asking less than one hundred thousand does not seem very ambitious here
- Franchise model could be a successful model, she advices us to create your own office in the different countries to coordinate your franchisees
A wonderful day full of new experiences! Keep on dreaming in Imagine CC!
Dreamer Catalina Balseiro